Monday, August 28, 2023

Twenty-Nine

Twenty nine years holds a lot. Saturday (the 26th of August), Harold and I celebrated our 29th anniversary. I look back and I cant believe it's been 29 years. Years filled with joy, laughter, good times. But also, sadness, heart ache and hard times. I never want to sugar-coat marriage or life. We can look for (and at) the positive, while still being honest and real. Twenty-nine looks like: growing pains-growing up is hard, whether you do it single or married, living apart for work, infertility plus pregnancy loss, health scares, pregnancy, parenthood (lack of sleep), moves, financial hardships, not always agreeing on the next steps for your family but figuring it out anyways, launching kids-and worrying about them a LOT, growing older and reconciling that and all it means, walking through the deaths of parents and grandparents with each other, welcoming grandbabies... And in the midst of all of that there are the day to day things. Joking, laughing, hard work, frustrations, trips for ice cream, deep talks, not so deep talks... If I sugarcoat this, if I make it sound like it's all sunshine and snuggles, I would do a disservice to others. This isnt a social media image perfected with filters. Real life is good and bad, happy and sad. I want my kids to know that we love each other and it's not always easy. But it's worth it. That we don't have it perfected but we won't stop trying. That the bad times will pass if you keep choosing to love each other and work at it. We are just two imperfect people choosing to love each other for better or for worse.

No comments:

Blog Archive