Monday, March 21, 2011

Better Than You Are

I've come to a conclusion. There are certain people in your life (at least I assume they are in everyone's lives) that make you want to be better than you are. No, not the kind that make you feel like you'll never be good enough. Never measure up. Just the opposite. People who make you feel like you can be better. And not in superficial ways. In the best kinds of ways! Some people make you want to gossip and complain. You get drawn into that kind of thing. (at least I assume you do. I do.) When you are with those people you find yourself (okay, I find myself) not liking who you (read: I) are (am).  I cringe when I'm alone again. Thinking how I should not have been complain-y and grumpy and gossip-y. And wonder if there wasn't something better we could've spent time talking about.

But then there are those people who just by their sheer postive-ness (positivity??) and goodness make you think it's possible to smile rather than frown. Be kinder and more patient. You could overlook a fault of someone else that annoys you. Because sometimes it's just not that big of a deal. Especially when you think of things that ARE  a big deal.

I have someone like that in my life lately. She is such a kind person. A ray of sunshine. And honestly, I wondered early on in our friendship if it was real or if she just was a really good actress. I think it's for real. And that makes it so desirable to be a little more like her. Someone who you just feel good and clean when you have visited with her. She's so understanding and kind. And yet, definitely real.

She makes me want to leave other people with that good feeling when they've been with me. I'm afraid I have a long way to go. But I can start working on it, right?

No comments:

Blog Archive