Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

I've figured it out! I know why Mother's Day makes me uncomfortable. It's the sentiment in the quote:

A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.  ~Tenneva Jordan


You see, I do still like pie! No matter if it's the last piece. I will give it up but I won't be happy about it. And if it's chocolate cake? Forget about it. I'm not giving it up. I might share it if I'm feeling really nice....


I think sometimes all the sweet cards make me want to put my head under the covers. It makes me feel guilty. Because it makes me closely examine my own thoughts, actions and attitudes and I always feel like I come up wanting. Like I could never be all of that! Most of us, in real life, are not the Hallmark version of a mom. All the things in one card rarely fit one human being! I mean, it's nice to know your kids think those things (at least for one day out of the year) and your husband takes note (I wasn't allowed to mow the lawn on Mother's Day by the way!? I do it most of the other times, but I guess if I did it today....it would make him look and feel bad?)


A mother understands what a child does not say.  ~Author Unknown


Ummm, not always!?


A mother's heart is a patchwork of love.  ~Author Unknown


Ok, on this one I'll bite! A patchwork (quilt) is not perfect, but it's comfortable and loved and personal. It's not usually designer, it's filled with memories and stitches that hold it together. It's partly ratty and all the way soft and warm....That fits how I feel most days. But I do love my kids with all of my patched up patchwork heart. They made me a mommy which is what I've always, as long as I can remember, wanted to be.


Not the best or most recent picture of all the kids (almost a year old) but remember, we're being real here...and it's hard to get 4 kids in close enough proximity to take a picture and not have a fight!

No comments:

Blog Archive