Thursday, February 14, 2013

On Love

Time flies! My plan was to blog way more often this year, but sometimes life gets in the way! It's not that I don't have 5 minutes to type a blog post...it's that sometimes at the end of the day, when I have time, I am OUT OF WORDS. I have nothing left to say or give. (Four kids need a lot of words, thoughts, answers, etc!)

But, this has been rolling around in my mind and heart for a while and today seemed the PERFECT day to share it!

Most of us tell our children that we love them. (*At least I assume so in this day and age when we know it's so important...my grandpa NEVER heard those words as a child. Never. How sad is that?) And most of us tell our spouses that we love them. Right? But do our actions and attitudes show that love? I know that sometimes mine don't. :(

Whether you are a Christian/believer or not, the Bible has some pretty awesome words that describe what love should look like. I think they're pretty universal and could help anyone!

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.
(1 Corinthians 13:4-8)


One thing I've heard is to ask yourself if you can put your name in every spot to replace the word "love"...so can I say "Cara is patient and kind; Cara does not envy or boast; Cara is not arrogant or rude. She does not insist on her own way; she is not irritable or resentful; she does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Cara bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love isn't a feeling. Feelings come and go. Love isn't really an emotion. Emotions are like a roller coaster. Love is a verb. We choose to love. There are days when I don't like anyone around me (and unfortunately I'm sure it shows) but I do love them. Here's the question for all of us: are we showing love no matter how we feel that day? I'm not saying syrupy sweet sick to your stomach love. I'm saying, down in the trenches love! 

Putting others ahead of yourself love. 

I'm not even talking about romance. I think the loveliest form of romance is seeing an old couple that is holding on to each other while walking. That just melts my heart. I want THAT love. Not the kind in a Harlequin (or a Harlequin Nasty according to my hubby). 

**Please note that this post has encouraged and convicted me to check my own actions/words/attitude. There are plenty of times that I have told my children I love them and then cringed thinking about how I've acted that day....and that's the definition they are internalizing about love.**

No comments:

Blog Archive