Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

I don't know where you fall in the Valentine's Day opinion spectrum. Do you love it? Hate it? Don't care two whits about it?
I'm kind of between "hate it" and "don't care two whits about it". I think it's an awful pressure-filled holiday that just gets a lot of men in trouble. Needlessly. I hate when I hear men saying "Oh, I'm going to be in trouble if I don't get her something for [enter any "romantic" occasion"]. Just because a guy doesn't rush out and buy you flowers or jewelry one day of the year does not mean he doesn't love you or think about you. Wanna know how I know this? I have a husband. The same one I've had for 17 1/2 years now. And he's not romantic. But he loves me.
1)he comes home every night
2)he calls me on his lunch hour
3)he listens when I need a friend
4)he values what I value
5)he cares when I hurt
6)he is spending his life with me
7)he loves our kids
8)he knows when I need a break-and encourages it usually
9)he tells me he loves me
10) works hard to provide for our family (so that I can stay home with the kids!)

Do I think flowers are pretty? Absolutely. Do I need them because the calendar says it's time to get flowers? Nope. Do I think cards are nice? Yes. Do I need one just because there is something on the calendar? Nope. I know, Hallmark probably hates people like us. We didn't even get cards for each other! In fact we often don't get cards for each other for our anniversary. I think those things are nice but only if the sentiment is there every day too. And right now, we honestly don't have the money to spend on cards and flowers. I'd rather he save the money and spend it on a date night. Later. When everyone and their grandma is not at the restaurant. Not because the calendar says it's time for a date but because he wants to take me out.

No comments:

Blog Archive