Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Wasting Time

You know, you can waste a lot of time wishing that someone was something they are not. It's best if you just accept a person for who he or she is. Life is too short.
I had to learn this lesson as a very young person. I married when I was 18 and had some notions of what marriage "should" be. I thought it was roses and candlelight. When really it's the little stuff that makes the difference. I determined not long after that I was getting my ideas from romance novels. *eyes roll* Those "men" in those books are fictional. Created by women for women. No man in there! When I put down the romance novels I started to see how I was wrong to expect my husband to be something that a man (a normal one) couldn't do. Never do I get flowers (ok, rarely. But we can't afford them anyway and I'd be kind of mad if he wasted money on them. 
People are who they are. Sure, some habits can be changed and people can improve upon what they are but you can't change who a person is (God can but that's a whole different post). It's hard enough to change yourself-impossible to change someone else.
You can wish your family was different, or you can accept them for who they are and love them
You can wish your child was different, or you can accept him or her for who he or she is and have a great relationship.
You can wish your husband was different, or you can love him for who he is and find the good in him (and realize that anyone you live with for years and years will sometimes annoy you!).
That's all. Just don't waste your time wishing someone you love was different.

No comments:

Blog Archive