Thursday, February 26, 2009

We're Going for a Walk!











One of the greatest things about homeschooling? Our day is so open! Don't take this to mean we don't educate, because that is very important to me. But if something comes up that we can do...we can take that day and do it. Then, we can make that day up-either by not taking spring break (we can take ours as opportunities for fun come up-not try to create fun for one week out of the year because that is when spring break is dictated) or adding a day on at the end of our school year. What does it really matter? If we finish our curriculum in time for next school year, does it really matter what day we finish it on? My kids are at this very moment reading aloud to each other. What a great thing that is. I hear so many (children as well as adults) who stumble over reading aloud...This is great practice. Did I tell them to do this? Nope! I didn't have to!
But now, my friends we are leaving to go to the library. There is also a playground across from the park, and if the mood strikes us we shall stop for a play there. (For the record we will be taking a grammar book to the library and working on the section called: "Library"). I am trying to have more of a light hearted opportunity driven attitude toward schooling. I don't ever want to lose sight of having an organized educating experience for my children, but am learning (as time goes by) to let the moment teach us at times.
just a little note here: I had two blog posts saved as drafts and had totally forgotten the one about "warm mothering"-which was inspired by another blog I read. I guess, even though I had forgotten it, it had stuck somewhere in the recesses of my mind. Because this is exactly what I was talking about! So, did I, for once, learn my lesson on something? I'm sure it's ongoing and will have to be relearned constantly...but it's a step in the right direction, right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm jealous!
Number one, we don't have a park. Number two, your kids have on sandals and shorts. No fair!
Oh and btw the girls have the same sandals as Miss Haley. Sacha sent them up for their birthday. Must be a Texas thing. ;)

Blog Archive